Alcohol and Drug Awareness
At DePauw University, we place an emphasis on the academic success and the health and safety of our students. The efforts of the Substance Abuse Prevention and Education are directed towards reducing the impacts of alcohol and drug use on students’ ability to perform at their highest levels in their academic endeavors and on their ability to support healthy lifestyles during and after their time at DePauw. We are committed to promoting a community that values, teaches and models healthy life choices and to creating conditions that provide a safe environment for learning and living.
The Office of Substance Abuse Prevention and Education works to create a healthy and safe environment in the following ways:
- Reducing high risk drinking - through the work of the DePauw Collaborative, BACk Down students, partnerships with faculty and staff, use of the CollegeAIM and participation in the Indiana Collegiate Action Network
- Policy - regular review of the Student Handbook, working through shared governance with student leaders, collaborating with the offices of Community Standards and DePauw Police Department, and education of the campus of the Safe Community Initiative and the Indiana Lifeline Law.
- Training and Prevention - programming for incoming students pre-matriculation and during New Student Orientation, training opportunities (TIPS) for all students, risk managers series for Greek leaders
- Intervention - coordination of the BASICS (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students) program, specialized sessions for Greek chapters by request, partnerships with Community Standards, Counseling Services, DePauw Health and community resources
- Events with alcohol - oversight of event registration, coordinating safety messages and non-alcohol events during specific weekends
- Data and Messaging - tracking of DePauw data on a weekly basis, execution of the yearly AOD survey, providing presentations and updates by request, creating social norming messages based on DePauw and national data