Button Menu

International Students

Opportunities and resources available to help you make the most of your DePauw experience and professional planning as an International Student.

We are prepared to introduce tools you can use when considering all of your options for off-campus study, internships, and career planning. 


International students are very well-prepared for a study abroad experience. We hope you take advantage of DePauw’s diverse study abroad opportunities. If you have plans to study abroad, you are responsible for securing the appropriate travel documents. In many cases you will need a visa to enter your host country.

The Hubbard Center provides free passport and visa photos for students who need to apply for a visa for study abroad. We are also able to assist in providing enrollment confirmation documents to Embassies and Consulate Generals in support of a visa application to study or intern abroad.

Remember to secure a signature from an authorized Designated School Official (DSO) on your I-20 before leaving campus for your study abroad. You will need this document in order to re-enter the United States. Contact the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, home of International Student Services, to secure a DSO signature.


Hubbard Center advisors are prepared to advise you throughout your job search on topics including preparing job search materials, understanding the interview process, navigating the US job market, and beginning to build a network. We also work closely with the Center for Diversity and Inclusion to help you understand how to obtain (Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  In addition, we have created a brochure for employers, explaining their small role in supporting an international student when using CPT or OPT.

Exchange Students

F-1 and J-1 (one-year exchange students) are welcomed and encouraged to secure employment on-campus at DePauw. An on-campus position can be a great way to start learning about work culture in the United States, to develop a network, and to gain practical skills to add to your resume. You can search for and apply to on-campus job listings on Handshake.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

If you are a degree-seeking international student on an F-1 visa, you are eligible to complete an internship under CPT as long as the internship is related to your academic course of study. For example, an Economics major can complete an internship in finance, or a Computer Scientist major can complete an internship in information technology. Contact International Student Services to ensure you have the appropriate paperwork completed from your employer BEFORE starting your internship.

If  you want to stay in the United States after graduation, you will find that regulations surrounding your ability to work in the U.S. can be confusing and subject to change. The Hubbard Center can help you navigate these rules and introduce you to resources designed to help your career search.

Additional Resources for Your Career Search

The Hubbard Center has several resources to assist you as you prepare for life after DePauw. Some are available publically and others require you to visit the Hubbard Center to request access. Of course, you are always welcome to schedule an appointment with a Hubbard Center adviser (many of whom have lived abroad and traveled abroad) for assistance with these resources or for other reasons.  

  • Interstride:  A system you can use to identify employers who are able to sponsor international employees, obtain information about the U.S. as well as global career and employment opportunities, learn more about visas and immigration, and connect with other international students to build a network. Visit the Hubbard Center for more information.

  • GoinGlobal: A resource that includes a H1B Visa database of US companies that sponsor employees, shares hiring information for 120 global locations, and provides a robust job and internship board.


Guides, Forms, Resources