Button Menu

Study Abroad Fellowships & Awards

Nationally competitive study abroad scholarships provide financial support to students pursuing study, research or internships abroad as part of their undergraduate program. Some of these opportunities have very early deadlines, so it’s important to start considering both study abroad and the award as early as possible.

Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship for Study Abroad: Summer, semester and year-long study abroad funding for current recipients of Pell Grants or students who are eligible for a Pell Grant.

Boren Awards for International Study: Summer, semester, and year-long study in regions critical to US national security. Requires 1-year commitment to federal government. US citizenship required.

Bridging Scholarship from the Association of Teachers of Japanese: Study abroad in Japan for a semester or academic year.

Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals: One-year of language and cultural experience in Germany while participating in a relevant internship.

Critical Language Scholarship: Fully-funded, summer overseas language and cultural immersion program. 

DAAD RISE: Summer internships at German Universities and Research Institutes for students in biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences, and engineering. Knowledge of German not required. Open to students from the U.S., U.K., and Canada.

DAAD Summer: Summer courses at German universities focusing on language, literature, cultural, political and economic aspects of modern and contemporary Germany.

Freeman Asia: Study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.

Killiam Fellowships: Funding for semester or year-long study in a Canadian university.

Fulbright UK Summer Programmes: Three, four, or five week academic and cultural summer programs for freshmen and sophomores.

Citizenship and Study Abroad Fellowships and Awards
Nearly all nationally competitive awards for study abroad require US citizenship. The Hubbard Center for Student Engagement maintains a number of scholarships that support off-campus study that are open to all students regardless of citizenship. Students without US citizenship can also find additional databases on the Other Resources page.

Other Resources