DePauw University's vocal area is the largest within the School of Music. Voice majors routinely compete and place in annual State and Regional National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) competitions, as well as other regional and national contests and auditions.
4 Degree options with multiple opportunities to perform and learn!
There are a variety of opportunities for voice majors.
- All voice majors participate in either the DePauw University Chorus or DePauw Chamber Singers.
- Voice majors may also choose to audition for the fully staged musical theatre and opera productions, as well as participate in the opera and musical theatre scenes courses.
- Vocalists also have the opportunity to audition for the yearly concerto competition.
- As world renowned guest artists visit DePauw, our students are able to imagine a broader vision of what is possible as a 21st-century performing artist. Master teachers are invited to campus to work with DePauw voice students in a variety of instructional and performance settings. Recent clinicians include Lawrence Brownlee, Kate Rockwell, Jason Robert Brown, Laura Bell Bundy, Nathan Gunn, Thomas Hampson, Laurie Rubin, and Frederica von Stade.
- Off-Campus Study: There are a rich array of opportunities available to DePauw students for both international and domestic off-campus study. Locations recently selected include Vienna, Milan, Paris, London, Dresden, New York, Philadelphia and Florence.
- DePauw is a leading university for study abroad and internship opportunities and this is especially the case for our School of Music students. DePauw Music Students have recently studied in Austria, Brazil, and New York City, and performed internships and tours in China and Germany.
DEPAUW GOLD WITHIN:
YESENIA RUELAS REYNAGA '23
DePauw is truly Gold Within. To me, that is most evident in the faculty and staff. All of my professors give 110% every day, and you can tell in how they teach their classes that they love doing what they are doing. I have grown so much in my first year because of how my professors pushed me and gave me all of the tools I needed to learn best. All the staff invest so much of their time to keep us on our toes and make our time in class and outside of class the best. I feel like I have a second family here at DePauw.