Button Menu

Student Refunds


Refunds are processed weekly while classes are in session by the Cash Receipts Office and payments are issued on Fridays.  Federal loan funds will be issued to the specified borrower no sooner than 10 days after the start of classes each semester.  Non-federal refunds must be requested by the student in writing.  Requests should be submitted to the Cash Receipts Office (cashreceipts@depauw.edu).  Refund proceeds are either mailed to students or parents per federal regulations or per written request or can be directly deposited via ACH to any financial institution of their choice (if proper forms have been submitted to the Business Office).  Click here for the ACH Direct Deposit form.  Students can also access the Direct Deposit form from their student portal on e-services by clicking on the "Student Direct Deposit Form" link.

Click here to request a refund from the Cash Receipts Office. https://goo.gl/forms/NfLMHTGvzyyLiKI03


Refunds due to Withdrawal

Tuition Refund: A student who withdraws during the semester will receive an adjustment to tuition on a per diem pro-ration (number of days enrolled divided by number of days in the semester) through 60% of the primary term. No refunds will be processed after 60% of the primary term has been completed.

A student who withdraws within eight weeks due to illness (doctor verification required) will receive a reversal of tuition charges for that semester.

A student who is suspended from the University during the semester for disciplinary actions is not entitled to a refund of tuition.

There is no refund of the Comprehensive Fee.

Residence Hall Room and Board Refund:  There is no refund for the room charges. Board charges will be refunded based on usage throughout the semester regardless of the reason for withdrawal.

Financial Aid Refund: A student who withdraws during a semester and is receiving financial aid will have a similar per diem pro-ration adjustment made to non-federal financial assistance.

Federal Title IV Awards Refunds: Federal law specifies how to determine the amount of federal assistance to be retained by a student who withdraws during a semester. The amount of federal assistance to be retained is determined on a per diem pro-ration. If a student completes 30 percent of the semester, 30 percent of federal assistance is retained on the student's account.

If a student received less federal assistance than the amount the pro-ration determines can be retained, all federal funds previously applied toward University charges remain on the student's account. If a student received more federal funds than the pro-ration determines can be retained, the excess federal funding must be returned to the appropriate federal program(s) and the student's account will be charged for the refund(s). When more than 60 percent of the semester is complete, a student retains all federal assistance that was received.

If a student received excess federal funds according to the pro-ration, the University must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  • Tuition, fees, and residence hall charges multiplied by the percentage of excess (unearned) funds, or the entire amount of the excess federal funds.

The order of federal programs to receive excess federal funds is:

  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  • Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • PLUS Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Grant (F-SEOG)

If excess federal funds remain after the University has repaid federal programs, the remaining funds must be repaid by the student to specific federal programs in the same order listed above. However, in case loan funds are to be returned, the student (or the student’s parent for a PLUS Loan) repays the lender in accordance with terms of the promissory note. That is, the student makes scheduled payments to the lender over the agreed upon time period, usually 10 years or a minimum $50 monthly payment.

If the student is responsible for returning grant funds, the full amount does not have to be returned. The law requires repayment of 50 percent of excess grant assistance by the student and the student must agree to repay the excess grant assistance within one year after receiving notification of the obligation. Repayment is made by the student to the University who will repay the appropriate federal program. The student is ineligible to receive additional federal assistance if repayment has not been made within the year.

Federal funds are considered to be the first payment toward tuition, fees and residence hall charges. Unless federal funds exceed adjusted institutional charges, the student will not be required to repay funds to the federal programs. Generally, excess federal funds will be repaid to the appropriate federal program by the University and charged to the student's account.