Show More

Academic Probation

DePauw University has a tiered approach to identifying and assisting students who encounter acute academic difficulty.

Academic Alerts

As a first step, faculty members are encouraged to contact the student's academic advisor or Kelley Hall, Associate Dean of Academic Life, when students are excessively absent from class or repeatedly fail to turn in assignments: (765-658-6267).

Midterm progress reports also help to identify students who are struggling. Six weeks into the semester, faculty members are expected to provide midterm progress reports on all first-year students, students on academic probation, and upper-class students with a C- or lower in a course. Academic advisors and Academic Life staff use these midterm grades in providing guidance to students and referring them to appropriate campus resources.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

At the end of each semester, the Committee on Academic Standing reviews all students whose semester, cumulative, or major GPA falls below a 2.0 or who were below a 2.0 the preceding semester. Students who do not meet the GPA requirements are placed on academic probation. Students placed on academic probation are assigned an academic standing advisor. The complete policy can be found here: Academic Probation and Dismissal.

Academic Standing Advising

Students on academic probation are assigned an academic standing advisor. The role of an academic standing advisor is to provide students additional guidance to end their academic probation. This type of advising is often broader than academic advising in the sense that discussions may include time management, study skills, regular check-ins, referrals to campus resources, or otherwise helping the students get back on track. Ideally, the student will improve academically and not be on probation the following semester.