Course Requests and Registration
Course requests and registration occurs each semester and in two phases the summer for incoming first-year students. The online procedures and information are handled through the Registrar's Office. Advising and guidance occur in advising conversations with faculty advisors.
The week after Fall Break and Spring Break is Advising Week. Students should communicate with their faculty advisor(s) about their goals and plans in a face-to-face conversation.
Advising appointments are most productive when students come prepared to discuss not only their short-term plans for courses they would like to take the following semester, but also long-term plans for experiences that will enhance their DePauw education such as Winter Term, off-campus study, internships, summer research, or employment.
If students have difficulty making contacting with their faculty advisor, students with declared majors should contact the department chair or program director. Students without majors should contact their class dean or Kelley Hall, Associate Registrar.
Course Requests and Scheduling
Students' schedules are created with a registration program that processes their course requests in a large database rather than through direct enrollment in a course. Direct enrollment in courses occurs during the adjustment period. Students receive detailed information about course requests in an email from the Registrar's Office each semester a day or two before Fall Break or Spring Break.
Students should be effective and strategic in their course requests. The following resources are most helpful in preparing for an advising appointment with a faculty advisor and making course requests:
- Advising Transcript (in each student's e-Services account)
- Course Request Worksheet
- Making Effective Course Requests
- Schedule of Classes
- Registration information for fall 2019
Incoming first-year students' summer course requests do not follow this process. Their course request information is located on the First-Year Experience website.
Students are responsible for the accuracy of their course registration and may check it at any time on student e-services. Students, in consultation with their advisors, may make changes to their course schedule within the deadlines specified as follows:
- The add/drop period extends through the first six class days of the Fall and Spring primary terms. During this period, students may add or drop courses. The add/drop period for Winter and May term runs through the first day of classes.
- Adjustments involving withdrawal from a course after the add/drop period or changes in the grade or credit status (grade to pass/fail, pass/fail to grade, credit to audit) may be made until the end of the eighth week of classes for the Fall and Spring terms. For Winter and May terms this adjustment deadline is the end of the first week of classes.
- The deadline for adjustments in seven-week courses is the end of the fourth week of classes.
Adjustments after the above deadlines may be made only under extraordinary circumstances with permission of the Petitions Committee and a late adjustment fee may be assessed. Petitions can be submitted with the petition form submitted at the Office of the Registrar.