Show More

What to do if a sexual assault occurs

In the event that you or a friend have been sexually assaulted, DePauw has a number of resources available to support you.


What to do

Go to a safe place. 

You may want to contact someone you know and trust to be with you.

If you feel that you are in an unsafe situation, you should call 911 or contact the Office of Public Safety at 765-658-5555, and they can help remove you from that situation and get you to a safe space.

Seek support. 

You can call the Sexual Assault Survivors’ Advocate (SASA) 24/7 at 765-658-4650. SASAs are trained advocates who can share with you all of the resources available to you, both on and off campus. They will provide you with support and understanding and be with you as you make choices on what resources to utilize, both in the moment and in the future.

Preserve evidence.

While it may be exactly what you feel like doing, DO NOT BATHE, DOUCHE, CHANGE CLOTHES, OR BRUSH YOUR TEETH. Washing or changing clothes may remove forensic evidence.

Seek medical treatment.

It is very important that you seek medical attention to be treated for injuries, sexually transmitted illnesses, and other medical related needs. If you suspect you have experienced a drug facilitated sexual assault or were given what is commonly called a “date rape drug,” go to the hospital immediately. These drugs can harm you, and any evidence of the drug leaves the body quickly.

You may also want to undergo a medical exam that can provide critical evidence for either the University judicial process or criminal prosecution. DePauw is fortunate to have trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) who can provide medical treatment and/or do evidence collection.

In the evenings and on the weekends, a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner can be reached by contacting Public Safety at 765-658-5555. On Mondays-Fridays from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner can be reached at the Wellness Center at 765-658-4555.

Make a report.

A student may file a complaint with the DePauw Public Safety Office (765) 658-5555 or with the Dean of Students' Office (765) 658-4270. A complaint filed with Public Safety will be considered a report of potential violation of DePauw policy and criminal law.  All such reports will be forwarded to the Associate Dean of Students to review for violation(s) of the DePauw Sexual Misconduct Policy and to the local Prosecutor to review for criminal charges.

Once applicability of charges is determined, the complainant has the opportunity to decide whether or not to go forward with the process except in cases where there is a sufficient risk to public or individual safety.  In such cases the University will proceed with or without the consent of the complainant. 

A student may wish to report to another Law Enforcement Agency and an officer can assist you with making contact with another agency or you may contact the Greencastle Police Department directly by calling (765) 653-3155. Call 911 for an emergency or the Public Safety Office for non-emergencies (765) 658-5555.