Button Menu

What to do & how to report

In the event that you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, DePauw has a number of resources available to support you as well as a number of reporting options.

What to do if you or SOMEONE YOU KNOW has experienced sexual misconduct, such as sexual assault

Go to a safe place. You may want to contact someone you know and trust to be with you. If you feel that you are in an unsafe situation, you should call 911 or contact the DePauw Police Department at 765-658-5555, and they can help remove you from that situation and get you to a safe space.

Seek support. You can call the Sexual Assault Survivors’ Advocate (SASA) 24/7 at 765-658-4650. SASAs are trained advocates who can share with you all of the resources available to you, both on and off campus. They will provide you with support and understanding and be with you as you make choices on what resources to utilize, both in the moment and in the future.

Preserve evidence. While it may be exactly what you feel like doing, DO NOT bathe, douche, change clothes, or brush your teeth. Washing or changing clothes may remove forensic evidence.  If you still have access to them, save any SnapChat messages, texts, or DMs related to the incident.

Seek medical treatment. It is very important that you seek medical attention to be treated for injuries, sexually transmitted illnesses, and other medical related needs. If you suspect you have experienced a drug facilitated sexual assault or were given what is commonly called a “date rape drug,” go to the hospital immediately. These drugs can harm you, and any evidence of the drug leaves the body quickly.

You may also want to undergo a medical exam that can provide critical evidence for either the University judicial process or criminal prosecution. Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) are available at local hospitals. DePauw staff can help make contact with these services. Having a SANE exam does not obligate you to take any further course of action, but preserves evidence if you ultimately decide that you want to.

A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner can be reached by contacting the DePauw Police Department at 765-658-5555 or a SASA at 765-658-4650.

Make a report. Reports can be made to a number of areas, including the Title IX Coordinator and DePauw Police Department. Additional information about making a report can be found below.


How to make a report if sexual misconduct occurs

There are different types of reporting options available. Different University employees have different abilities to maintain a victim’s request for confidentiality.  Making a report does not obligate you to choose any further course of action, but it can help you know what your options are and what resources and supports are available to you.  

Anonymous reporting. An individual can make a report of prohibited conduct to the University without disclosing their name by completing the Report an Incident of Sexual Misconduct Form here online. Depending on the level of information provided about the incident or individuals involved, the University’s ability to respond to an anonymous report may be limited. 

Confidential reporting.  An individual may report an incident to an employee who is not required to report to the Title IX Coordinator and who can promise confidentiality. Those employees are licensed counselors, medical professionals, and ordained clergy acting in a pastoral care capacity. 

Reporting to a SASA. If someone is not sure about whether they want their report to remain confidential or anonymous they can call a Sexual Assault Survivors’ Advocate (SASA) at 765-658-4650 for assistance. Generally, a survivor can seek assistance and support from a SASA without triggering an investigation that could reveal the survivor’s identity or that the survivor has disclosed the incident. However, a SASA will report the nature, date, time, and general location of an incident to the Title IX Coordinator without disclosing personally identifiable information. Questions about confidentiality of discussions with a SASA can be discussed with the SASA.

Non-confidential reporting. An individual may report an incident to an employee who is required to report to the Title IX Coordinator. Those employees include all faculty, all staff (excluding those designated as staff to whom confidential reports can be made), all administrators, including Student Academic Life and DePauw Police personnel, and Resident Assistants (RAs).  These employees must report all information that has been shared with them, including the identity of the individual who disclosed the incident to them. 

When a report is made to the Title IX Coordinator. When a report of sexual misconduct is received, the Title IX Coordinator will meet with the reporting individual to gather key facts about the incident being reported. During this meeting, they will be addressing any immediate physical safety and emotional support needs, including potential interim measures and no contact directives. The Title IX Coordinator will also explain the various options for addressing the reported misconduct that the reporting individual can choose: interim measures and supports only, alternative resolution, or formal disciplinary investigation and adjudication through the University or criminal processes through DePauw Police or other local law enforcement agencies.  

Students making a report or cooperating with an investigation will not be charged under the University's Community Standards process for a violation of the University's alcohol or drug policy, so this need not be a barrier to reporting. Retaliation or intimidation against reporting individuals and witnesses working with the Title IX Administrators or against anyone who pursues criminal action is a serious violation of the Student Code of Conduct and will be treated as such.

Additional information about Title IX at DePauw University is available in an electronic brochure that can be found here.

When a report is made to the DePauw Police Department. DePauw Police will investigate all reports of sexual misconduct they receive and forward them to both the Putnam County Prosecutor's Office for possible criminal prosecution and to the Title IX Administrators for institution of University processes, interim measures, and supports.